Tuesday 1 November 2011

Wild Apple Tart

A few weeks ago I scrambled up an apple tree on the edge of the road near where I live and gathered these apples.  They were quite sweet, but a bit battered by insects etc so I decided to make an apple tart.

It was easy as pie.  I whipped up some indulgent short crust pastry to my mother's secret recipe.  I swear she'll kill me if I ever share it with anyone.  Suffice to say it's not for the faint hearted or whippet thin.  But sometimes I pick up a packet of ready made in the reduces section at the supermarket and keep in the freezer for such occasions as this.  Then I sliced the apples, chucked them in my Nana's tart dish lined with the pastry, sprinkled some sugar and a pinch of cinnamon over the fruit and topped with the pastry lid.


And then I got a little carried away with decorating it.
Popped it in the oven for about the last 20 minutes of cooking my Sunday chicken keeping a watchful eye on it as I'm rather prone to burning things.
I served it with some ice cream and my elderberry syrup.  And it was really rather good.
And almost free!  Shame it wasn't fat free.

No comments:

Post a Comment