Friday 15 July 2011

My own ever growing Top Tips List

Here are a list of things I wish someone had told me (and repeated until I understood!)....
this list shall grow over time as I have never fully recovered from baby brain and retain a sketchy memory....

1) Do not underestimate how different your life and world feel once you become a mother. Nearly two years on and I am only just beginning to understand this.

2)You can never have enough bananas, or bibs. Bananas solve most hunger pangs, sooth bad moods, are to bribe to complete many an order! But it does not wash out of any clothing so do not offer when baby is in her Sunday best!

3) Sleep time comforters ROCK. So keep them in the cot to encourage baby to want to go to bed to see their favourite toy. And make sure you have at least one spare to employ whilst one is in the wash or incase one gets lost - heaven forbid!  TT cherishes hers & would never sleep or calm down with out him, who has the rather odd name of Boris.  Everyone in our extended family knows who Boris is, so really he has become another family member almost.

4) Vary the foods you eat towards the end of pregnancy to get baby used to different flavours and spices.  It means she will eat most of what you eat in her early years and minimises risk of being a fussy eater. So it works out cheaper and easier in the longer term!

5) Baby Nurofen may cost a lot but solves a lot more pains than Calpol. Teething powders simply don't work, this has been scientifically proven unfortunately.  Use a Nuby Nibbler (can buy in most supermarkets)with frozen banana pieces instead.

6) Be kind to yourself. I'm referring to the look after yourself - mentally & physically - self kindness here, not the cakes and lie-ins variety!  I had a traumatic birth (or should that read Baby Wild had a traumatic birth?!) but felt fit as a fiddle with in 2 days and expected to be fighting fit within weeks again. I tried to pick up running again to shift the baby weight (I'm still waiting) and couldn't understand all these weird pains I'd never really noticed before.  The doctors had no idea either so I just stopped trying to run.  20 months on and all these aches and pains have mysteriously disappeared signalling that I am only now physically ready to work out at my former fitness levels. You really do need to pay attention to what your body is telling you, no matter how healthy you think you are.  I stubbornly refused to believe anyone when they suggested my mind and body would never be the same again.

7) Bottle Feeding - best but most common tip I was told was to get baby used to having her bottle at room temperature.  Makes life a heck of a lot easier when you don't have to find a way to heat up bottles out & about or in the middle of the night!

8) Bump bands. Are you mad? Do you have money to burn lady? Just cut the top of some tank tops and vests you wore on summer and use them instead.  They'll already co-ordinate with your wardrobe too.  I managed to get away with  buying only one pair of maternity trousers for slouching around at home in comfort.  The rest of the time I used hair bobbles to hold my normal trousers up by hooking them through the button holes.

9) Beat the blues with natural oils.  Orange essential oil is proven to lift moods and is really soothing yet refreshing.  Cheap and cheerful personified!  Sprinkle a few drops on a handkerchief or piece of pretty cloth and keep in your pocket for those days when you feel like shit and the pregnancy symptoms just aren't helping!  It can also be used for Flatulence, Constipation, Stress, Slow Digestion Dull Skin, Colds & Flu!!  Just google it for where to buy online for a couple of pounds.  I still use it actually in winter in an oil burner to lighten my mood in dark evenings.  Much cheaper than scented candles too.

No comments:

Post a Comment